rauksztu (at) cityu.edu.hk
Ryszard Auksztulewicz (see Google Scholar) conducts empirical and theoretical work at the interface of cognitive, computational, and systems neuroscience, focusing primarily on the neural mechanisms of predictive coding and their modulation by cognitive factors. He is currently funded by the European Commission’s Marie Skłodowska-Curie Global Fellowship for his work on neural mechanisms of prediction signalling (for more details about this project, click here), and is hosted by the Neuroscience Department of the MPI for Empirical Aesthetics, Frankfurt am Main (working closely with Prof. Lucia Melloni and Prof. David Poeppel), and the Department of Neuroscience, City University of Hong Kong (Prof. Jan Schnupp). He is also a co-investigator on two competitive grants awarded by the Research Grants Council Hong Kong (for more details, click here and here).
Previously, Ryszard has worked in the world’s leading cognitive and computational neuroscience groups at University College London (Prof. Karl Friston) and Oxford University (Prof. Kia Nobre), spearheading empirical and modelling studies of the neural mechanisms of prediction error signalling. Most of his previous and ongoing work is directly related to predictive coding and auditory mismatch signalling in the brain. He has also presented the work dedicated to predictive coding at international conferences, symposia, and in invited talks on over 25 occasions.
- An HJ, Auksztulewicz R, Kang HJ, Schnupp JW (in press) Cortical mapping of prediction error responses to independent acoustic features. Hear Res
- An HJ, Auksztulewicz R, Shing HK, Schnupp JW (in prep) Auditory mismatch response to violations of independent acoustic features: domain general or domain-specific?
- Auksztulewicz R, Malmierca MSM (forthcoming) Stimulus-specific adaptation, MMN and predictive coding.
- Auksztulewicz R, Rajendran V, Harper N, Schnupp J (in prep) Omission responses in auditory cortical neurons.
- Barron HC, Auksztulewicz R, Friston K (in press) Prediction and memory: a predictive coding account. Prog Neurobiol
- Cappotto D*, Auksztulewicz R*, Kang HJ, Poeppel D, Melloni L, Schnupp J (submitted) Decoding the content of auditory sensory memory across species.
- Kang HJ, Auksztulewicz R, An HJ, Schnupp JW (submitted) Neural correlates of auditory pattern learning in the auditory cortex.
- Zhai YY, Auksztulewicz R, Song PR, Sun ZH, Gong YM, Du XY, He J, Yu X. (in press) Synaptic adaptation contributes to stimulus specific adaptation in thalamic reticular nucleus. Neurosci Bulletin
- Todorovic A, Auksztulewicz R (in press) Dissociable neural effects of temporal expectations due to passage of time and contextual probability. Hear Res.
- Auksztulewicz R, Myers NE, Schnupp JW, Nobre AC (2019) Rhythmic temporal expectation boosts neural activity by increasing neural gain. J Neurosci 39 (49), 9806-9817.
- Palmer CE, Auksztulewicz R, Ondobaka S, Kilner JM (2019) Sensorimotor beta power reflects the precision-weighting afforded to sensory prediction errors. NeuroImage 200:59-71.
- Fitzgerald K, Auksztulewicz R, Provost A, Paton B, Howard Z, Todd J (2019). Hierarchical learning of statistical regularities over multiple timescales of sound sequence processing: A dynamic causal modelling study. bioRxiv 768846 (submitted to PLOS Comp Biol).
- Auksztulewicz R, Schwiedrzik CM, Thesen T, Doyle W, Devinsky O, Nobre AC, Schroeder CE, Friston KJ, Melloni L (2018) Not All Predictions Are Equal: "What" and "When" Predictions Modulate Activity in Auditory Cortex through Different Mechanisms. J Neurosci 38(40):8680-8693.
- Rosch R, Auksztulewicz R, Friston K, Baldeweg T (2018) Effects of NMDAR antagonism on mismatch negativity and repetition suppression. Biol Psych: Cogn Neurosci Neuroimag 4(2):140-150.
- Lichtner G*, Auksztulewicz R*, Kirilina E, Velten H, Mavrodis D, Scheel M, Blankenburg F, von Dincklage F (2018) Effects of propofol anesthesia on the processing of noxious stimuli in the sinal cord and the brain. NeuroImage, 172, 642-653.
- Lichtner G, Auksztulewicz R, Velten H, Mavrodis D, Scheel M, Blankenburg F, von Dincklage F (2018) Nociceptive activation in spinal cord and brain persists during deep general anaesthesia. B J Anaesth 121(1):291-302.
- Auksztulewicz R, Friston KJ, Nobre AC (2017) Task relevance modulates the behavioural and neural effects of sensory predictions. PLoS Biology, e2003143.
- Auksztulewicz R, Barascud N, Cooray G, Nobre AC, Chait M, Friston K (2017) The cumulative effects of predictability on synaptic gain in the auditory processing stream. Journal of Neuroscience 37(28):6751-6760.
- Fardo F, Auksztulewicz R, Allen M, Dietz MJ, Roepstorff A, Friston KJ (2017) Expectation violation and attention to pain jointly modulate neural gain in somatosensory cortex. NeuroImage 153:109-121.
- Auksztulewicz R, Friston K (2016) Repetition suppression and its contextual determinants in predictive coding. Cortex, 80:125-140.
- Pinotsis D, Geerts J, Pinto L, FitzGerald T, Litvak V, Auksztulewicz R, Friston K (2016) Linking canonical microcircuits and neuronal activity: Dynamic Causal Modelling of Laminar Recordings. Neuroimage 146:355-366.
2015 and older
- Auksztulewicz R, Friston K (2015) Attentional enhancement of auditory mismatch responses: a DCM/MEG study. Cerebral Cortex, 25(11):4273-83.
- Sanders L*, Auksztulewicz R*, Busch N, Sterzer P (2014) The influence of ongoing brain oscillations on apparent motion perception. Neuroimage, 102(2), 241-8. *shared first authorship
- Auksztulewicz R, Blankenburg F (2013) Subjective rating of weak tactile stimuli is parametrically encoded in event-related potentials. Journal of Neuroscience, 33(29):11878-87.
- Spitzer B, Goltz D, Wacker E, Auksztulewicz R, Blankenburg F (2013) Maintenance and manipulation of somatosensory information in ventrolateral prefrontal cortex. Human Brain Mapping, doi: 10.1002/hbm.22337.
- Auksztulewicz R, Spitzer B, Blankenburg F (2012) Recurrent neural processing and somatosensory awareness. Journal of Neuroscience, 32(3), 799-805.
- Auksztulewicz R, Spitzer B, Goltz D, Blankenburg F (2011) Impairing Somatosensory Working Memory using rTMS. European Journal of Neuroscience, 34(5), 839-44.
- Philiastides M, Auksztulewicz R, Heekeren H, Blankenburg F (2011) Causal Role of Dorsolateral Prefrontal Cortex in Human Perceptual Decision Making. Current Biology, 21(11), 980-3.