Fei Peng's main research interest is the neural coding mechanisms of natural sounds, such as voice pitch of Mandarin tones and statistics in the textures. She has explored the neural coding of the time-varying pitch contours in Mandarin tones in the inferior colliculus of the guinea pig in Chongqing University, and investigated the auditory brainstem and cortex responding to the resolved and unresolved harmonics of Mandarin tones by measuring human EEG in Bionics Institute.
She is currently funded by the Research Grants Council Hong Kong, and to explore the neurons in the key stages of the ascending auditory pathway, including the inferior colliculus, primary and secondary auditory cortex of rats to synthetic auditory textures sounds with systematically varying statistics, presented in isolation and superposition.
- Peng, F., McKay, C. M., Mao, D., Hou, W., & Innes-Brown, H. (2019, July). Cortical Pitch Response Components Correlate with the Pitch Salience of Resolved and Unresolved components of Mandarin Tones. In 2019 41st Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC) (pp. 4682-4685). IEEE.
- Jiang, B., Hou, W., Xia, N., Peng, F., Wang, X., Chen, C., ... & Wu, X. (2019). Inhibitory effect of 980-nm laser on neural activity of the rat cochlear nucleus. Neurophotonics, 6(3), 035009.
- Wang, M., Xia, Q., Peng, F., Jiang, B., Chen, L., Wu, X., ... & Hou, W. (2019). Prolonged post-stimulation response induced by 980-nm infrared neural stimulation in the rat primary motor cortex. Lasers in Medical Science, 1-8.
- Peng, F., McKay, C., Mao, D., Hou, W., & Innes-Brown, H. (2018). Auditory brainstem representation of the voice pitch contours in the resolved and unresolved components of Mandarin tones. Frontiers in neuroscience, 12, 820.
- Peng, F., Innes-Brown, H., McKay, C. M., Fallon, J. B., Zhou, Y., Wang, X., ... & Hou, W. (2018). Temporal Coding of Voice Pitch Contours in Mandarin Tones. Frontiers in neural circuits, 12, 55.
- Xu, Y., Xia, N., Lim, M., Tan, X., Tran, M. H., Boulger, E., Peng, F., Richter, C. P. (2018). Multichannel optrodes for photonic stimulation. Neurophotonics, 5(4), 045002.
- Peng, F., Xia, N., Wang, X., Zheng, X. L., Zhou, Y., Fan, X. Y., & Hou, W. S. (2016, August). Neural representation of different mandarin tones in the inferior colliculus of the guinea pig. In 2016 38th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC) (pp. 1608-1611). IEEE.
- Xia, N., Peng, F., Wang, X., Zheng, X. L., Wan, X. P., Yuan, W., & Hou, W. S. (2014, August). Short-wavelength near infrared stimulation of the inner ear hair cells. In 2014 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC) (pp. 2633-2636). IEEE.